Job description supervising veterinarian
To boost supervisory capacity, the Netherlands Food and Consumer Product Safety Authority (NVWA) is looking for veterinarians to strengthen its team. Interested?
Applying for veterinarian at NVWA
We have many openings in regions across the country, with guaranteed opportunities in the north/east. Suitable candidates are invited to apply.
The NVWA monitors food safety and animal welfare in the Netherlands. Your main responsibility as a supervising veterinarian is to protect both animals and humans by ensuring that the slaughter process complies with regulations.
From the moment animals arrive at the slaughterhouse, you will follow every step of the slaughter process closely. Did the animals survive transport? Are they healthy? This challenging role comes with responsibility, and you will focus on making a real difference when it comes to animal welfare at small, medium, and large slaughterhouses (red meat and poultry).
Besides checking carcasses to guarantee meat quality, you will also ensure all operations are carried out hygienically and in accordance with laws, regulations, and guidelines. If necessary, you will take appropriate measures to rectify any compliance issues. You will also travel to primary companies, export collections centres, and cold stores for certification activities.
At the NVWA you will be given plenty of development opportunities. To ensure you have all the necessary tools and knowledge to do your job, we provide a compulsory 9-month training program before starting work, as well as future compulsory training courses.
We offer an intensive language course for candidates who are not yet fluent in Dutch. This course is aimed at achieving level B2, a requirement for entering the substantive training program.
A basic test and an assessment (both in English) form part of the selection procedure.
- You are a legally qualified veterinarian and your diploma is recognised by the Dutch Veterinary Register, in compliance with the relevant European Directive.
- Experience as a veterinarian or within the sector is preferred, however recent graduates are welcome to apply.
- You speak and write English fluently.
- You have excellent written and verbal communication skills, and the ability to quickly learn Dutch.
- You display strong business acumen; you prioritise effectively and make decisions quickly when necessary.
- You consistently embody the NVWA's mission and values.
- You are self-confident and perform well under pressure.
- You have a valid driving license.
- You are willing to relocate to the Netherlands.