Amusement devices in the Netherlands

The NVWA inspects amusement rides at fairs, carnivals,amusement parks and other events in order to evaluate if they are safe and in accordance with Dutch regulations. The NVWA also investigates accidents with amusement rides.

Registering an amusement ride

Whenever an amusement ride is operating temporarily in the Netherlands. Operators of foreign amusement rides have to register at least 48 hours before opening to the public by providing a written notification of the amusement ride to the Netherlands Food and Consumer Product Safety Authority (NVWA). All devices must undergo recurring inspections by an inspection and certification institute (AKI) appointed for such tests by the Dutch Ministry of Health, Welfare and Sports.

It does not matter if the device will be operated for only 1 day or for months in the Netherlands; a valid test certficate of an AKI is always mandatory. If the amusement ride is already tested and provided with a test certificate by a non-appointed institute, it also needs to be inspected by an AKI to acquire a valid certificate in accordance with Dutch regulations.

Amusement rides without valid AKI certificate are not allowed to be operated in the Netherlands. Operating such a device is an economic offense that will lead to fines and securing the device by the authorities in order to prevent it from being operated.

After registering your amusement ride to the authorities and successfully getting the ride tested by an AKI, the amusement ride will be provided with a certificate of approval and a mark of approval, this mark of approval has to be placed on the ride in a visible spot. The ride will also be registered in RAS. The system all amusement rides operated in the Netherlands are registered in, reachable for the NVWA, AKI’s and municipalities.

Warenwetbesluit attractie- en speeltoestellen

Foreign operators and Dutch operators of amusement rides must follow the same laws. These are written in 'Warenwetbesluit attracties- en speeltoestellen' (WAS). In the WAS is written what procedures to follow, how to make sure you operate a safe ride, what an operator should take care of and what to do in case of an accident.

As of July 1th, it is mandatory to inform the NVWA, by calling the control room, when a serious accident has occurred. This can include hospitalization, permanent injury or even death. The control room can be contacted by calling 0900-03 88.

Where can I find the Warenwetbesluit attractie- en speeltoestellen?

The whole text of the WAS can be found here.